The Mustang SVO Forums

Tire Rack - KONI Shock Value 25% Off Sale   Goodyear Mail-In Rebate
When you buy one Valeo® ULTIMATE™ Wiper Blade from Tire Rack, you'll get one free!
Orders placed through these advertiser links help to support this website.

Find this site helpful? Donations are appreciated.
REAR Disk Brake Calipers Parking Brake

Thread: REAR Disk Brake Calipers Parking Brake

Default REAR Disk Brake Calipers Parking Brake

I replaced all 4 calipers and the master cylinder and ALL the fluid.

I matched up the calipers with the remanufactured ones and they are the same. The problem I have is the "lever"that goes on the drivers side caliper that activates the parking brake seems to be oriented slightly.

It is keyed and can only be in a few positions. Now my Lever sits in a position that seems to be way back at like a 9 o'clock position as opposed to be in a more like 7 o'clock position.

When I pull on the handle it does not activate the brake as strongly as I like. I did adjust the caliper to take up the slack.

I was wondering if I could somehow orientate the parking brake lever on the caliper itself to get me in a better position for the cable to tug on the arm. I think that is my problem.

pics would help, use photo bucket and post the links.

Make sure you have a matching pair (labeled L and R) of the levers, They can go ointop the shafts in three positions - pick the one that gioves the most leverage and travel.

Look here from more details on the rear calipers (my apologies in advance for all the red:

http://www.svocop.com/Articles/2/index.html

Click on the thumbnails to enlarge the pic.
    Helping SVO owners and racers since 1983.

I will try to get a few pics up.

There are 3 positions the lever can be set to. None of the positions seem to work. The lever ends up too close to the parking brake cable or toooo far away. On the far away setting the cable reaches but is pointing straight towards the rear hence the 9 o'clock position.

I know I know, a pic needs to be posted.

Thanks!

Take the back of the caliper apart - the large hex nut (it's ~100 Ft-Lbs so use the proper socket) and make sure they installed the pin holding the piston adjuster - so it does not rotate, the three balls and installed the parking brake cam lever in properly. That's all in the article. Iirc the adjusters are the same side-to-side, with just the levers being different. Use silicone grease to lube the seals.

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

The calipers were remanufactured and when I took the parking brake assembly apart the "parking brake thrust screw" and the "parking brake operating shaft" were from a right side caliper. I was having a problem with the left one. The parts were clearly labeled with an "R" when they should have had an "L". I brought them to the place I got them and the rebuilder agreed that was the problem. Someone at the bench made a mistake.

All good now. Took her for a spin, man she brought back some real memories! I forgot how nice 17 lbs of boosting sounds.

Thanks all!

Good to hear you got it all sorted out.