The Mustang SVO Forums

Tire Rack - KONI Shock Value 25% Off Sale   Goodyear Mail-In Rebate
When you buy one Valeo® ULTIMATE™ Wiper Blade from Tire Rack, you'll get one free!
Orders placed through these advertiser links help to support this website.

Find this site helpful? Donations are appreciated.
coolant temp sensors

Thread: coolant temp sensors

Default coolant temp sensors

I was wondering about the coolant sensors / senders.

From what I have researched there seem to be 3 units.

1 that goes to the EEC

1 that turns the fan on / off

1 that sends signal to the gauge

Is that correct?

I could not get a part number for the fan one that is on the bottom for the fan?

One of them is DY-1145 and one is SW-925 for the gauge but not sure on the 3rd.

Yes, that's accurate.

The fan control sensor switch is year specific. The other two are common to at least a decade of Fords.
    Helping SVO owners and racers since 1983.

Any chance you know the part number for a 1986 SVO?

OK, after exhaustive searching and hours and hours of going nuts I think I got the info needed to replace the sensors properly.

1) DY1145 is the Coolant Temp Sensor. It has a rectangular plug and usually come with a pigtail for you to install onto your cars original harness. The older part number DY691 is the same part but with the round plug. They dont make it anymore but if you can find one that is the easiest fix since you wont have to splice into your original wiring. If your original plug from the harness is yucked up and green or corroded than you might as well get the DY1145.

2) SW925 is the Temperature sending unit referred to as a "switch". This sends the signal to your gauge.

3) E5SZ8B607A or E6SF8B607AA is the Radiator, Cooling Fan Switch. This tells your fan to go on and off depending on how hot your car is running. These numbers are not available and prob are hard to come by. I found some aftermarket switches and decided to get a WELLS # SW532.

The Wells SW532 will activate the fan at between 207F and 217F and deactivates the fan at 192F. This seems to be not too far from the spec of the original and if anything it will turn the fan on at a lower temperature which is a good thing.

My fan currently is activating at over 220F and deactivating at about 210F give or take. When I install it I will post results. Hopefully it will keep her a bit lower on the temp scale in traffic.

This info pertains to a 1986 Mustang SVO and may differ for the other models.

*****UPDATE*****

I replaced the radiator with an aluminum aftermarket one. It was half the price of repairing my original. I put my original one in storage and can repair it at a later time. I installed the " WELLS # SW532 " fan switch and am EXTREMELY happy with the results.

First off, the new radiator keeps me running real cool on the highway, like near the "O" in "NORMAL". When in traffic my fan kicks on near the "A" and then kicks off around middle of the "R". The fan works as per its specs as mentioned in my previous post. With the factory fan switch I was exceeding the "L" and almost on the "H" before the fan was kicking on.

I would recommend using this switch to anybody who feels they are running a bit hot when in traffic or idling too long. I am happy with it so far. If anything changes I will let you know.

I was sitting in a traffic jam today in the sun and 85 humid degrees and was running cool, never getting to the "A" on the temp gauge.

By the way my gauge is pretty on the money. I have been checking with a "Bluepoint" InfraRed heat gun which is pretty damn accurate.

That's good info on the switch, I might give that a try. I'm with you on the new rad. I bought one from Advance Auto Parts it has a single 1" core. It works very well indeed.

I just looked it up, looks like Autozone sells it for $13.95. It has the SW532# listed as "Duralast" but made by Wells, must be the same.
    Last edited by MAPSVO; 05-28-2012 at 03:25 AM.
    86 SVO (9L)
    84 Turbo GT Hatch, Bright Copper
    84 Turbo GT Conv
    84 Turbo GT350 Hatch

Here are the specs:

http://www.wellsve.com/ecatalog.html

The sw532 is found after you plug in the year, make, model, and then scroll to the switches. Then look under attributes.

Make sure the switch is brass and not all plastic.

Appreciate the updates and information sharing. Oveheating is something I work hard to guard against here in phoenix. Was 109 today and expectednto be 112 tomorrow. Thanks again!

I have been using the SVO for about 3 weeks now since the new switch and radiator. Gauge has been reading much cooler than before. I did have one time where it got into the "H" very briefly. That was in traffic. I have been in stop and go traffic a whole lot and has been no problem. I may have a finicky thermostat. The thermostat is the original and I should replace it but have been working on other issues to get the car road worthy.

So far in addition to the above I have:

changed the rack and pinion
    PS hoses (ALL)
    calipers and pads
    clutch (I am in the middle of it as we speak)
    instrument cluster bulbs
    Tires
    All striker bushings
    Both power window motors and bushings
    Charged AC w freeze12

I am sure a few other things I cant think of.

I still need a paint job.....