PDA

View Full Version : Turn indicators and flash to pass dont light up

scenario
05-11-2012, 12:30 PM
My Turn indicators and the bright light light (flash to pass etal) light do not come on in the cluster.

The signals and bright lights do work though, they are just not indicated in the instrument cluster.

Any suggestions where to troubleshoot. Seems kind of odd that they BOTH are out, I am thinking a bad ground.

Thanks!

Frank V

BTW

Just got her registered and back on the road today! 1st time since 1996. My stupid Rag Joint took a crap and the steering is all over the place so cant really drive it until the part comes in.........

MAPSVO
05-11-2012, 04:22 PM
I would take the cluster loose, tilt it out and take all three of those bulb sockets out, they are all real close and you probably could tilt it out enough without unhooking the main wire plugs or the speedo cable.

The car I just finished up had been sitting for many years and I had some problems with two or three of those instrument bulb sockets. I took them all out, cleaned the little contacts on the back where it makes contact with the circuit board. I also replaced all the bulbs.

Since the bright lights and the signals work I sure would lean toward the indicator bulbs in the dash.

Good luck.

scenario
05-12-2012, 10:54 AM
Problem Solved!

The bulbs had green corrosion on the contacts of the bulb themselves. I replaced the bulbs with new ones and all good now. I did NOT have to disconnect the speedometer, thank God!

The bulbs will pull out the front if you remove the hex screws and remove the front lens of the cluster. You just need to grab the bulbs carefully with a pair of long pliers and they will come out with little effort. I did decide to twist out the bulb sockets and check the contacts. This was done from the rear by reaching over the cluster from the top and grabbing them with my fingertips. Actually pretty easy.

The flash to pass / bright light bulb is ONLY accesible from the rear and was easy as well.

If anyone has to do it, it is no sweat!

Thanks for the reply!
Frank V

NotBud
05-12-2012, 11:01 AM
I did NOT have to disconnect the speedometer, thank God!
Disconnecting/reconnecting the speedometer cable is just like pie (cake?).

Study these pics.