PDA

View Full Version : My svo feels like it loses power when I try to accelerate around 3000 rpm.

BoostedSvo23
02-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Hi guys im haveing a problem with my 86 svo I just bought it and had been sitting for three years could any one help?

Juice
02-15-2012, 05:24 AM
Not enough detail to answer your question.

NotBud
02-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Change ALL the fluids (petrol, oil, gearbox oil, rear diff, brake fluid, ...)

BoostedSvo23
02-15-2012, 04:24 PM
Hello guys thanks for the response im new to the SVO but not to Ford its a 1986 1e 75,000 original I am doing complete tune up wires, cap&rotor, plugs, pcv, fuel filter, all motorcraft new valve cover gasket, all the intake gaskets I/c couplers all the fuses are good I cleaned the iac and the throtle body also the vam I ran better I can say also put in four galones of 93 but maby I needs a full gas tank to run all the old gas it had in it I will let u guys know how it runs after that if I still have that problem.

TheSVOTrust-MarkHaas
02-15-2012, 06:31 PM
You may want to STOP once you do the tune up ! (I wouldn't tear into intake gaskets at all)
Get the car running with the new wires and plugs (plain old .99 cent autolites gapped to .029/.030 max)

When a car sits that long it would have been better to drop the tank and drain the fuel. Replaced the injectors and go from there. Since you didn't do it that way and have started down this path you can finish the tune up - DON'T change the timing or mess with distributor. Cap rotor and wires. TAKE YOUR TIME with the wires -you would be surprised how often people mess up just 4 wires ! (Also -LOOK an confirm how they are installed -sometimes people "walk a plug" to make up (the wrong way) for timing issues)

You concern is actually any clogged injectors ! If you get the car running burn out the bad gas - and go easy on it ! Just because you get running better with wires and plugs doesn't mean you don't have an injector/fuel pressure problem ! You don't want to go lean and then you will burn a headgasket or worse.

RECAP - BAD FUEL is when you can't start the car easily. Lost of power under boost is lack of fuel pressure or bad spark due to wires/plugs.
Used to run is improper install of tune up parts - firing order, timing. Runs but hardly idles, no power and gets hot is blown head gasket.

Mark

BoostedSvo23
02-16-2012, 04:19 PM
Hi Mark im Orlando thanks for the help icanuse evry bit you guys have to offer I love my svo and they must live on. the car dosent have problems starting or idleing just when i try to accelerate so hopefully when I dothe tune up it all goes away I went and took the off and it ran better it still had the original cat.

TheSVOTrust-MarkHaas
02-16-2012, 07:06 PM
Great! Once you get through that you will want to confirm what the fuel pressure does under boost ! (The stock pump was as big as they had in 1985 - since then they went from 86 to 110 to 140/155 to 190 to 255 and now there is a 340)
Mark

BoostedSvo23
03-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Hi mark well I did the tune up and the car ran good but after driving it around for a couple of hours it started acting up idleing funny felt a loss of power like it was strugling to go. What should I look in to what is the stock fuel pressure and timing supose to be set at? Thanks

NotBud
03-05-2012, 08:01 AM
Drain (and discard) the petrol in the tank, clean the fuel lines and injectors, replace the fuel filter and fill it with fresh petrol.

It will NEVER run right with that sludge in the gas tank. It ceased to be petrol after sitting for six months.

BoostedSvo23
03-06-2012, 04:46 PM
I put the code scanner and it said map sensor no response is the map sensor supose to have a vaccume line conected to it? Thanks

NotBud
03-07-2012, 08:44 AM
SVOs do not have a MAP sensor to measure manifold pressure. They do have a BARO sensor to measure atmospheric pressure though and it does not have a hose connected to it.