PDA

View Full Version : struts

keith84svo
10-26-2011, 03:26 PM
I dont trust kragen or other autopart store computers. Other than Konis, What other strut-shocks can I put on this car. Is this a car that is classified as a race suspension.

KevinK
10-27-2011, 06:57 AM
The SVO only has 1 option for direct replacement struts and that is SVO specific suspension. It does not fit any other mustang. There may still be some brands with SVO struts. For Koni, go to PPI for the best prices and Konis have a lifetime warranty. For non-direct replacement parts you will need to do a search.

Mr. Pink
10-28-2011, 05:35 PM
try this: http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11812&highlight=shock+replacement

or this...

http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26924&highlight=strut+replacement

NotBud
10-29-2011, 01:40 PM
The front struts for the SVO are unique - only the OEM KONI model will work properly. You may be able to change cartridges inside the KONI units though.

Using a standard FOX front strut will physically bolt-in, but the camber will be about 1.5 degrees more negative as the mounting points in the KONI strut are located differently. So with a caster/camber plate kit, FOX struts and an alignment shop, you would be good to go. But overall the cost will be about the same as using real SVO KONIs.

keith84svo
10-30-2011, 06:34 PM
1) OK.. Let me get this right. Konis are direct replacement. No mods needed.
2) If I choose to use Kyb' gr2, I have to buy camber plates to get the proper degrees.
3) If I buy the konis and lower it, would I still need camber plates?
4) My lower ball joints are almost gone. I talked to Fatman and he said $500 for a new set.

I'm trying to price all these together and getting kinda rattled. Any help would be appreciated.

Svoaholic out

KevinK
10-31-2011, 06:11 AM
You can have the ball joints replaced at rareparts.com.

keith84svo
10-31-2011, 08:10 AM
I called and talked to glenn @ rareparts. He is unshure what to do. Just replace and press in new ball joints or fab a new arm? He said the cost would be around $220.00 per ball joint to be replaced. At $440.00, I think it would be wise to have Fatman Make a new set with replaceable ball joints for $500.00.

KevinK: If you now what he needs to know can you write the procedure or let me know what he only needs to know. On my previous post, the struct combination are correct if I use Gr2 with camber plates.

Thanks

KevinK
10-31-2011, 08:22 AM
Rareparts should know what to do as they advertise the service. The reason for the $$ cost is the arm needs to be machined in the replacement process. For years everyone complained that Fatman never delivered the product that some paid in advance for. Yes, I believe a couple of years ago a few people bought some arms from them. That's about all I know. There was another person who was doing a few ball joint replacements but I don't recall much info. It was probably on svoca.com. I don't know a lot about non-stock parts as I'm an OEM type person.

NotBud
10-31-2011, 11:49 AM
Read this:

http://mustangsvo.org/svoforums/showthread.php?662-Wanted-lower-ball-joints-84-svo&p=4368#post4368

Mr. Pink
10-31-2011, 05:20 PM
And Fatman SVO arms have failed under conditions. I had a set and once I saw the failure I elected not to put them on my car. Maybe their product has gotten better, but since they don't mass produce or market their stuff towards the SVO community, I would probably look for other options.

http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21270&highlight=fatman

keith84svo
10-31-2011, 05:39 PM
Thanks guys for all your help. I appreciate it. I bought this svo 1.5 yrs ago and it was in bad shape. After finding out what this car can do, I'm doing a semi-full resto on it. Theres atleast 6 of these around me that are being parted out. Anyways. My next step is Buying 99-04 sn95 LCA, Eibach springs, Camber plates and kyb gr2's and MM Spindle/Ball Joint Adapter. This is what I got from talking to you all.

Thanks again
Will post pics when I can.