PDA

View Full Version : Old car w/new problems

dsgmach007
10-25-2011, 03:05 AM
Well some of you have really been helping me get this thing up and running. It was up and running and I pulled the injectors to find that one was clogged up pretty good. I had a set of four that were new that I decided to put on the car. With these I changed the fuel pressure regulator. The car did not smoke on startup before but now it does. There was alot of white smoke on the first 2-3 startups. The heavy white smoke has subsided and there just seems to be a small amount now. The smell is not sweet like a blown headgasket but I will probabaly check the compression anyways.

My 2 problems are there seems to be a small amount of smoke coming from under the hood. It appears to be localized to around the turbo. Does anyone know where and $ to have these rebuilt. It might need it the car has 130k on odometer.

Also, there is a few drips of radiator fluid on the floor but it appears to be coming from a drain hose that exits the firewall on the passenger side. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Mr. Pink
10-25-2011, 04:20 AM
If you're looking to have the turbo rebuilt, contact Charlie at Evergreen Turbo (http://www.evergreenturbo.com/contact.html). His prices are fair and his turn-around time is fairly quick. You'll get a turbo back that looks new.

Can't really help with the smoke on start-up....although it sounds like it could be valve seals....especially given the mileage.

If you have a coolant leak near the firewall, could that be causing your underhood smoke? Is it hitting the exhaust?

KevinK
10-25-2011, 06:58 AM
The drain hose on the passenger side firewall, is the drain for the AC box. If there is coolant coming out, that means the heater core is leaking. Check the hose clamps on the heater core first before tackling the big job of replacing the AC type heater core.

dsgmach007
11-18-2011, 03:29 AM
No more coolant leak and the exhaust smoke is gone. Soultion was just dropping the original catalytic convertor and replacing with a 3" downpipe. No more smoke so I'm guessing the cat was bad.

Still have a decent amount of smoke coming from turbo area. Appears that the turbo needs a rebuild to replace the gaskets. The c-clip on the wastegate is also broken so I will be looking around for a reputable place to send it for a rebuild.

Has anyone used Charlie at evergreen?

becools
12-11-2011, 08:09 AM
Charlie is the guy to go to, unless you want to buy a used one.