PDA

View Full Version : Stuck Fog Light Switch

Noghri23t
10-12-2011, 11:38 AM
Hey guys. My foglight switch broke with them stuck on. I looked for a new one and could not find a replacement anywhere. I was able to take mine apart pretty easily.

You have to remove the switch from the center console. i had my console out already so i am not sure you can take it out without removing it, but it is held in my clips on the left and right. Pinch them and carefully push the switch through the opening going toward the gearshift.

There is a small metal finish plate on the front of the switch (where is says foglight). very carefully with a small flat head screw driver pry the bottom of edge so that you do not damage the visible front of it. Carefully remove the finish plate so it can be reused. you have to do this to separate the halves of the switch. There are 4 clips that hold the left and right halves of the switch together. Carefully pry the clips off. the ones at the back are easy. The ones at the front can be removed without having to remove the clips that mount the switch into the console. I used a small snap-on flat head. Again be very careful. Once the 4 clips are removed, separate the halves of the switch assembly.

The toggle switch has a spring in it with a shaft that is hollow on the spring end and solid on the end that touches the electrical contacts. In my case this little shaft had worn down on the end where it slides along the contacts when you turn the switch on and off. I say worn down but it had really mushroomed on the end. All i did was break the mushroomed flatened end off with my fingernail and i stretched the spring a little to compensate for the shaft being a little shorter due to wear. Then reassemble the switch assembly in reverse. Works like a charm now.

Jeff

Mr. Pink
10-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Jeff, they are known to fail....one of the reason to consider putting the switch on a relay as discussed in another thread as I suspect the "mushrooming" you described might be due to too much heat (hard to say without seeing a pic)

Just FYI, but there is one on Flee-bay right now..... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford-Mustang-SVO-NOS-Fog-Lamp-Rocker-Switch-E5ZZ-15A214-A-/170709997335?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bf1bd717#ht_500wt_1182 in case you're looking for a spare....

4themasses
02-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Great post. Mine is stuck as well. Although I wish is were stuck in the on position rather than off since I usually have them on.