PDA

View Full Version : Sudden engine cuts out while driving

jsherris
07-06-2011, 10:43 AM
Stock '86 new problem: engine stalls/cuts out suddenly without warning after driving normally for about 5 miles. I turn off the ignition, and wait a few minutes, it will start and then runs normally; I have not experience a second stalling of the engine when I continue to drive after first re-start, but not sure that is the case since usually I high-tail it home at this point. Has happened consistently 3 times now following a cold start however. Not a fuel problem; occurs in both premium and regular fuel settings modes; is not like the distributor module problem where you get an abrupt engine cut off and then the engine will no longer re-start. Some sensor issue???? Any ideas???? have had the car since almost new, and never had a problem like this. Couldn't find anything recent in tech forum. Thanks for your help!

Kendal Coker
07-06-2011, 06:59 PM
The tfi module on the distributor on Fords will give you some warning and cut off and then restart for a while . You also need to change the pickup in the distributor at the same time.

85svoguy
07-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Stock '86 new problem: engine stalls/cuts out suddenly without warning after driving normally for about 5 miles. I turn off the ignition, and wait a few minutes, it will start and then runs normally; I have not experience a second stalling of the engine when I continue to drive after first re-start, but not sure that is the case since usually I high-tail it home at this point. Has happened consistently 3 times now following a cold start however. Not a fuel problem; occurs in both premium and regular fuel settings modes; is not like the distributor module problem where you get an abrupt engine cut off and then the engine will no longer re-start. Some sensor issue???? Any ideas???? have had the car since almost new, and never had a problem like this. Couldn't find anything recent in tech forum. Thanks for your help!

Check your inertia switch in the trunk. Might be triggering every once in a while. Just found out mine was bad yesterday. You can check it with a volt o meter, and it should read 5 ohms. Any more or less than that and it's overly sensitive and will go off whenever it feels like. I'm going to a junk yard today to pick one up for mine. It was reading 48 ohms.

Tfi is a good reason also, mine recently went out last week, but after it went out it would no longer start.

85svoguy
07-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Also not to thread jack, but i changed the TFI out on my car, and it drove fine for a few weeks, then all of the sudden it stopped running again. Could that be due to me not changing out the pickup in the dizzy? What exactly does it do?

jsherris
07-07-2011, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the input; I'm liking the pickup coil as the cause for my intermittent problem with the engine suddenly stalling. The inertia switch for fuel pump does not seem likely as the cut off is too abrupt. Anyone else experienced intermittent symptoms as I described above with a failing pickup coil? Would rather not just start replacing parts to diagnose. Ignition module(tfi) failures in my experience, are yes abrupt, but have always been universally final. Pickup coils on the other-hand, from what I could gather, can give you intermittent engine cut out, but not sure if that applies/happens on the SVO, anybody????

85svoguy
07-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the input; I'm liking the pickup coil as the cause for my intermittent problem with the engine suddenly stalling. The inertia switch for fuel pump does not seem likely as the cut off is too abrupt. Anyone else experienced intermittent symptoms as I described above with a failing pickup coil? Would rather not just start replacing parts to diagnose. Ignition module(tfi) failures in my experience, are yes abrupt, but have always been universally final. Pickup coils on the other-hand, from what I could gather, can give you intermittent engine cut out, but not sure if that applies/happens on the SVO, anybody????

Me lol. For some reason i was getting intermittent stall randomly. I would fire the car up and drive around, it would randomly die in the middle of the street. Replaced TFI, ran good for a few weeks, bam died. Replaced TFI again, nothing. Replacing inertia switch today because mine was bad. I'm also picking up a remanufactured Dizzy from autozone and if it fixes the problem i know its that stupid pickup. I checked for spark (none), fuel, checked grounds, checked inertia switch, checked fuses. Checked all the little things and now Im stepping up to larger fixes.

I honestly believe my problem is the pickup, because it's recommended you change it out when the TFI goes. I suggest you change out your TFI and pickup/whole dizzy.

NotBud
07-07-2011, 01:48 PM
Original ignition switch?

jsherris
07-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Yes on this one it is the original ignition switch and it is loose: don't really need a key unless the column gets locked; you think it could be rolling bk while driving? good thought, but the engine will actually not start for several minutes after it stalls out, so that does not seem likely, but could be ruled out. Thanks;
PS does anyone know if the electronic diagnostics on the SVO will give a specific error code for the ignition module or ignition pickup we have been discussing? it's been a while and I'm not sure where the shop manuals are for the SVO. Also has something happened to all the old forum posts? Seems like if you search something like ignition module or ignition pickup, you would get a few more hits than my own and a couple of others: Am I doing something wrong or have old posts been archived out of reach of the search. Its been a while since I've been to this site so maybe I missed something?

NotBud
07-07-2011, 04:39 PM
1. Change the ignition switch since it is 25 years old (and cheap too).

2. The EEC will not specifically test the TFI and/or PIP. It will indicate that the signal is erratic though. Main Rule on TFIs: If you change the TFI module, also change the PIP/stator inside the distributor. This is a MUST!

3. You need one of Mike Fleming's training books on the 2.3 EFI turbo engine.