PDA

View Full Version : Idle problem

Jeff Smith
06-15-2011, 08:46 PM
Actually have 2 problems. First is an idle fluctuation, starts out at 2k, then goes to 3200, and stayes there. It goes back to 1k if I turn it off, and restart immediatly. The second problem is when I am driving, everything is fine, then violent shaking begins. It really telegraphs through the steering wheel. Then it smooths out after awhile. I just got the car, did the body, paint, and interior, now is time for the mechanicals that I was unaware of! It almost seems that the violent shaking might be due to failing or dirty injectors?! The car is a 84 svo. Any help would sure be appreciated! Thanks.

blueboss
06-20-2011, 06:34 AM
Read the eec fault codes. That will get you moving in the general direction. You might also consider a proper and complete tune up. Depending upon when the last one was accomplished. Also, test your fuel pressure. Troubleshoot one thing at a time and repair one thing at a time. A step by step methodical approach will serve you well as you have more than one issue.

Jeff Smith
06-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the info! I have changed the plugs (gapped to .o29), wires, cap and rotor, and the fuel filter. I just changed the fuel pressure regulator, and the violent missing stopped. I still get the high idle, but it goes to normal, under 1K, if i turn the car off, then restart. I am going to check codes now. Thank you.

Kendal Coker
06-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Set the throttle position sensor on .9, that is usually the idle problem.

TheSVOTrust-MarkHaas
06-21-2011, 06:36 AM
Thanks for the info! I have changed the plugs (gapped to .o29), wires, cap and rotor, and the fuel filter. I just changed the fuel pressure regulator, and the violent missing stopped.

Looks like you read up on 2.3EFI TC idiosyncrasies! As Kendal said "Confirm the TPS is set right and clean the IAC" (No cost to do this and you should be fine)

Mark

Jeff Smith
06-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Looks like everyone helped me figure it out! Thanks. Got it too idle right at 1k, could only get the ohms too 1.06. Would not go lower. Had to wrap some bare wires first. Might have been the problem. Did clean out the iac out. It was pretty dirty. Thanks again!

TheSVOTrust-MarkHaas
06-24-2011, 07:36 AM
Glad you are working on it Jeff. You are looking for 1 VOLT at idle (or a little less) This will allow you use the throttle plate screw to fine turn the air down to where you want the idle to be. (probably around 850/900 RPM) Remember with the AC on it will kick up a few hundred RPM. If you start at 1000/1050 next thing you know you will be at 1300RPM and unhappy AGAIN)

Mark