PDA

View Full Version : recommended oil weight

Jeff84
05-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Hey guys my 84 has about 116K on the motor and the previous owner was putting 15w-50 mobile 1 and ive been using 15w-40 royal purple and since I got the thing its had low oil pressure, am i using the wrong weight per the millage?
thanks Jeff

TheSVOTrust-MarkHaas
05-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Reguardless of weight of these two oils (unless VERY OLD oil)...

ANY low pressure readings on an SVO should start with a new oil sender AND confirm that the voltage regulator isn't going bad on the dash.

Then if still concerned you can go from there on bearing service/rebuild.

Mark
P.S. Using a guage at the motor would confirm pressure too

Jeff84
05-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Thanks mark. I'm thinking its electrical because I was driving today and as the water temp went up so did my oil pressure and stayed normal

rix_five0
05-07-2009, 03:58 PM
Hello every one, i just purchased a 84 svo and im very happy because i've never had a turbo car before, and therefore i know close to nothing about turbos and their components. It has, what i hope, minor defects, and one of them is the turbo gauge that doesnt work. I would like to know if any one can tell me what i have to check or do to try to fix it, or does any one know where i can buy a shop or service manual besides ebay or that one from the autopart store. Thanks for your help.

rix_five0
05-07-2009, 05:17 PM
sorry im new and made a mistake

TheSVOTrust-MarkHaas
05-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks mark. I'm thinking its electrical because I was driving today and as the water temp went up so did my oil pressure and stayed normal

Voltage Stablizer in back of the guages. (might be avail from Ford still )

Mark
P.S. Plan on scraping your hand up if you tilt the cluster out and replace !

TheSVOTrust-MarkHaas
05-07-2009, 06:52 PM
Hello every one, i just purchased a 84 svo and im very happy because i've never had a turbo car before, and therefore i know close to nothing about turbos and their components. It has, what i hope, minor defects, and one of them is the turbo gauge that doesnt work. I would like to know if any one can tell me what i have to check or do to try to fix it, or does any one know where i can buy a shop or service manual besides ebay or that one from the autopart store. Thanks for your help.

You probably wanted to start a new thread....

But have you confirmed that the hose is hooked up to the guage and vacumn manifold on the firewall ???
Mark