PDA

View Full Version : Running Cold, Rich, and Breaking up under boost?

85svoguy
04-05-2011, 08:49 AM
I have an 84 SVO all manual options. Recently i got it up and running and back from Washington state and into my driveway. Now, I'm having a couple problems with it after i got it running.

First problem, Car is running cold. When i mean cold, it never reaches operating temp unless I'm on the freeway stuck in traffic. I just changed the T-Stat out to a new 195 last night and tried getting the temp up, and nothing. I drive for 30 minutes and get out to feel the radiator cap and its barely even warm.

Problem two, Car is running rich. I know part of it has to do with the running cold, i also have DSM 450cc Injectors installed in it because my stockers burnt out while i was driving down. I have a fuel pressure regulator but i have yet to install it (Should be going on after work today).

Problem three, She keeps breaking up under boost. I have all the stock wiring hooked up and she's only seeing around 7psi, but when i hit in in WOT it breaks up and pulls back. When i hit it 3/4 throttle she boosts fine, only when i smash on the gas pedal.

Now, this is what i have done to her. 450cc injectors, new plugs, new T-stat, oil change, running downpipe only but a bolt is loose, timing was set at 12 degrees. Any suggestions?!?!?! I need to get her running decent before the 10th otherwise i might just go to the meet and not the show.

85svoguy
04-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Also what's the easiest way to get out the fuel pressure regulator? Those 3 little upside down bolts look like a pita to get to. Remove the fuel rail and remove?

tonyteb
04-05-2011, 05:19 PM
is your timing set at 12 with spout in or out do you got the switch on premium.set timing to 10 btdc spout out set base idol get the car as warm as you can unplug the iac plug set screw till you get to about 750 rpm shut car off then plug back in and restart check your TPS with a voltmeter black and green wires should see .90 to .95v Do you see 15 psi of boost at all?

85svoguy
04-05-2011, 06:40 PM
is your timing set at 12 with spout in or out do you got the switch on premium.set timing to 10 btdc spout out set base idol get the car as warm as you can unplug the iac plug set screw till you get to about 750 rpm shut car off then plug back in and restart check your TPS with a voltmeter black and green wires should see .90 to .95v Do you see 15 psi of boost at all?

Not 100% sure, I dont know how to time cars but the person i had with me is a mechanic and set it correctly. I gotta check the TPS for sure, and about the boost I only see a max of like 7-8lbs of boost even with the switch on. I already checked the slow boost fuse and replaced two of the turbo hoses. I know i have an exhaust leak at the down pipe.

tonyteb
04-05-2011, 06:48 PM
do you have a timing light?check the wastegate accuator arm sometimes it falls off the wastegate door lever its held on by a c clip and maybey its half open thats why you won see 15 psi that happen to me and the factory settinig is 10 btdc with spout out make sure the hoses going to your BCS are good and have no cracks

tonyteb
04-05-2011, 06:51 PM
also get motercraft plugs and new wires motorcraft even if they look new you may be surprised

85svoguy
04-05-2011, 06:55 PM
I actually don't have a timing light right now. I just changed out the spark plugs last week. I'm goin to pull them and check the gap. I'm going to the Svo meet out here this saturday so I'm hoping someone there will be able to help me pinpoint my problem. I'm going to buy a timin gun As well

tonyteb
04-05-2011, 07:05 PM
yea its a good tool to have gap should be .30 to .34

85svoguy
04-05-2011, 07:22 PM
Ya I'm going to pick one up from autozone tomorrow. Not really sure how to use t but I'm sure I can figure it out. If not I'll bring it with me on Saturday and I'm sure someone can help me out. Thanks for the replies

tonyteb
04-06-2011, 02:24 PM
its easy put the clamp from from the timinig light on spark plug # 1 then connect to battery pos and neg point to the crank pully timing marks remove the spout its off the tfi wiring set to 10 btdc then put back tighen distibuter bolt and let us know whats gong on

85svoguy
04-06-2011, 02:34 PM
its easy put the clamp from from the timinig light on spark plug # 1 then connect to battery pos and neg point to the crank pully timing marks remove the spout its off the tfi wiring set to 10 btdc then put back tighen distibuter bolt and let us know whats gong on

I'm going to autozone to buy a timing light after work, i have like $60 bucks in credit so might as well pick it up. If i can't figure it out I'm sure there's a thread i can find on another forum that will explain the process with pics. I know where the clamp goes, know where the spout is, and know how to loosen the dizstributor. Does the car have to be at operating temp?

TheSVOTrust-MarkHaas
04-06-2011, 05:40 PM
If you changed the plugs and didn't change the wires they are junk now
as stated you need to get the timing ser to 10 BTDC with the spout out

On the road from my i phone
Mark

tonyteb
04-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Yes try to get the temp up as much as possible let idol for 20 min. Good luck do you have any pics of the car post them if you do please

navysvo
04-07-2011, 07:32 AM
for the FRP, cut down the short side of an angled hex head (allen) as far as possible. Car does not have to be at operating temp. You are unplugging the SPOUT connector, so the EEC wil have no effect on setting the timing properly.

85svoguy
04-07-2011, 10:29 AM
for the FRP, cut down the short side of an angled hex head (allen) as far as possible. Car does not have to be at operating temp. You are unplugging the SPOUT connector, so the EEC wil have no effect on setting the timing properly.

Ok sweet. I appreciate everyone hoppin on here to help me out. Turns out that the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires haven't been changed in about 3 years. So I'm going to do a full tune up, oil change, re-do timing, install fpr, check tps. When everything is said and done hopefully my problem is fixed. I will post up pics of the engine, interior, and car as well just so everyone can see what I'm working with.

85svoguy
04-07-2011, 11:41 AM
Also can you verify for me what you mean by cutting down the short side of the angle hex head?

navysvo
04-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Before and after

85svoguy
04-08-2011, 10:47 AM
Ye719s try to get the temp up as much as possible let idol for 20 min. Good luck do you have any pics of the car post them if you do please

Heres a couple pics of my car that i snapped this morning.

85svoguy
04-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Update folks! Turns out I had a broken spark plug on cylinder 1! So no more breaking up under boost or running rich! Idles smoothly at 950 as well. See everyone tomorrow who will be at vinces. And fff on Sunday. Thanks again for the help