PDA

View Full Version : wastegate delete ?s

84turbotony
03-06-2011, 03:54 PM
ok so i have the 88 tbird tc w/ the 2.3la3 computer I am installing a t3 manifold from a 84 turbo gt stang. I am wanting to know if I can delete the wastegate? do I need to install a external one? or can i just leave it? heard something about this from a friend. Also how would I delete it because on the 84 model the wastgate is attached to the exhaust downpipe and on the 88 its not. Could I just attach a wire that will keep it open?

86svo9l
03-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Is there a reason you are changing the manifolds out? The turbocoupes E6 manifold outperforms and is less prone to cracks than its E3 counterpart on the 84. My recommendation would be to swap on the T3 turbo while keeping the manifold. I really dont know where your trying to go with the wastegate situation you didnt explain if the T3 is missing its equipment or not, but as long as the exhaust elbow and actuator are present on the T3 than there is no reason to run an external, it will all carry over no issue, your exhaust will bolt onto the T3 elbow just as easy as it did the IHI. The only mods you will need to do to run the T3 on a turbocoupe will be to block off the coolant lines since the 84 T3 is not liquid cooled and to get an adapter to run the intercooler. Pictures help also so we can see what you are working with.

blueboss
03-08-2011, 03:55 AM
No.....you cannot delete the wastegate. Stop listening to your friends.....You must have one of some type. If you don't, your turbo will continue to build boost pressure until the engine eats itself or the turbo eats itself. As the previous poster eluded to, unless there's something wrong with the E6 manifold, leave it alone. Of course, if you're hell bent on changing it anyway, I'll take it off your hands for the price of shipping.