PDA

View Full Version : Parking brake adjustment

cbrownin
08-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Since I am new and full of questions here goes another one...where would I find the adjustment mechanism for the parking brake. When it is pulled all the way up to the center console it still does not have much "braking" ability.

Thanks

navysvo
08-12-2010, 09:03 AM
You need to set the clearance of the rear calipers first. IIRC, the clearance is .020" between the pad and the rotor. You accomplish this by rotating the caliper piston with the cheap special tool.

After that, there is an adjustment under the coin tray (plastic thingie under the parking brake handle). If you don't adjust the piston first, you could max out the adjustment on the handle and still not accomplish the task. That is why you adjust the piston first.

cbrownin
09-11-2010, 03:16 PM
I just posted another thread where I thought that the piston was seized because it didn't appear to be moving in or out. Are you saying that the caliper "turns" vs just going in and out? I have never seen a caliper adjustment made by turning the caliper before...

navysvo
09-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Are you saying that the caliper "turns" vs just going in and out?
No, I am not. The caliper piston does travel through a bore like a normal caliper

I have never seen a caliper adjustment made by turning the caliper before...
The SVO caliper piston IS adjusted by threading it inwards or outwards within the parking brake thrust screw inside the bore. The parking brake thrust screw is part of the entire piston assembly that the actual piston part threads into. It is a little hard to explain, but it does nonetheless. There is a special tool that rotates the piston inward/outward to achieve the clearance required.

I just checked the Ford Service manual and I stand corrected on the clearance. With the car jacked up and wheel removed, it states:

Pull the caliper outboard until the inner shoe (pad) is firmly seated against the rotor, and measure the clearance between the outer shoe (pad) and the caliper. The clearance must be is 1/32" to 3"32". If it is not, remove the caliper, then readjust the piston the obtain the required gap.
Rotate the shaft counterclockwise to narrow the gap and clockwise to widen gap. (1/4 turn of the piston moves it approximately 1/16")

cbrownin
09-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the info, I guess the caliper still could be seized because I am not seeing any movement when I move the parking brake lever (on the caliper). Maybe screwing the caliper out a little will do the trick...I will try it tomorrow if I can find the tool to do the job.

geenest86
09-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Adjustable Pin Wrench / Spanner Wrench...5th row down .. In Middle
http://www.harborfreight.com/hand-tools/wrenches.html?limit=30

You can also make one by taking a junk adjustable wrench, and drilling and taping a couple of case hardened bolts to the jaws (bulky and rudimentary but functional)