PDA

View Full Version : SVO issues

cbrownin
08-05-2010, 08:01 AM
Hello, new to the forum and new to the SVO mustang. I just picked up a 1985 SVO and it has a few issues that I need some help with.

1. Oil pressure and fuel gauge do not work

2. Extremely rough ride and the front end is riding a little low, I am guessing that the Konis are shot, is there a way to determine if they are shot?

3. Headlights, turn signals, reverse lights and brake lights all work but parking lights in the rear and front do not work...very weird.

Any ideas/comments on these issues? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

blueboss
08-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Hello, new to the forum and new to the SVO mustang. I just picked up a 1985 SVO and it has a few issues that I need some help with.

1. Oil pressure and fuel gauge do not work

2. Extremely rough ride and the front end is riding a little low, I am guessing that the Konis are shot, is there a way to determine if they are shot?

3. Headlights, turn signals, reverse lights and brake lights all work but parking lights in the rear and front do not work...very weird.

Any ideas/comments on these issues? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1. Check fuses, start with that.
2. Bounce the front of the car. If it returns more than twice, struts are shot, more than once, they're on their way out. My front end only returns once after ANY bounce. Alternatively, you can take them out and if they stay extended, chances are they're probably good. If they stay in when you push them in, they're bad.
3. See item #1.

By the way, the low riding in the front has nothing to do with your struts and everything to do with the springs. So, if it's ridin' dirty in the front, chances are either the springs are shot or they're aftermarket units designed to ride that low. Do you know if they're stock or not?

cbrownin
08-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Still not sure about the gauges, may have to take off the dash and take a look.

I have checked the fuses and bulbs and don't see any problem. I guess I might replace the light switch next. Very weird that its just the parking lights in the front and rear...

As far as the shocks go you are probably right, it may be the springs effecting the ride height, not sure if they are stock or aftermarket, I guess I can try to pick up some new ones some where and see if that helps.

Ford Builder
08-05-2010, 10:44 PM
As for gages it may be the master plug that goes to the cluster, the pins on the plug & the cluster some get corroded and don't make good contact, if you gently clean the pins with some fine steel wool it should fix your gauge problem it may also correct parking light problem, I would suggest that you disconnect your battery before you clean the plug contacts. As for the front end I would jack it up and put on stands remove your wheels and have good look at your springs the may be broke , I have many time before the brake in side the A arms at the the very bottom it hard to see some times because they collect road debree, some times they brake at the very top. good luck

blueboss
08-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Almost forgot.....before you start throwing money and parts at the car, CHECK YOUR GROUNDS. All of them. They need to be clean and securely attached preferably to bare metal. Find an electrical diagram for the exact locations but off the top of my head: Left and right side on top of the radiator support, negative cable to inner fender apron, engine to firewall.....I know I'm missing some but that'll get ya started. There's also the one on the turbo inlet stud that supplies reference to the ego sensor and the one inside by the ecu. I know those don't apply to your situation, but check 'em anyway while you're in there.

cbrownin
08-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Thanks I will give the grounds and connectors a look...just one question...how does the speedometer cable disconnect from the gauge cluster?

cbrownin
09-11-2010, 07:03 PM
Still haven't figured out how to get the speedo cable off, tried squeezing it at the same time I am pulling it back and no luck. Any words of wisdom?

robertosvo
09-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Persistence....best word of wisdom here
It will come off, just takes time, it is a bugger to work in that area.
I also bet you have a broken spring, they tend to break at the bottom from accumulating crap in the perch.

SVOBrad
09-20-2010, 06:10 AM
One trick I learned is to remove the sheet metal screw that holds the speedo cable to the car frame. This screw is located just about under the master cylinder.
With the screw out that allows the speedo cable to straighten out more thus allowing you to pull the instrument cluster out furthur. Now you can actually see the plastic end of the cable and how it can be depressed and then released. By the way, sometimes its hard to snap the speedo cable back to the speedo head. Make sure it is engaged or otherwise when you think you are finished and are driving down the road, you will notice the speedo is not working. Ask me how I know that.............

NotBud
09-20-2010, 04:49 PM
You just need to know how the speedo cable retainer works. Look at the pics.

Find the wide, long side and push that towards the cable end (pinch it inwards). Then pull the cable itself away from the speedo while holding the release in.

navysvo
09-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Good use of the crayon.......your color too!

Jim D.
09-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Great to see everyone helping everybody! What did we do before digital cameras and photoshop???

NotBud
09-21-2010, 10:32 AM
Good use of the crayon.......your color too! I never go anywhere without my red crayon!!

What did we do before digital cameras and photoshop??? We had more appreciation for "normal" women??

navysvo
09-21-2010, 10:50 AM
I never go anywhere without my red crayon!!
RED?

More like PINK!!

NotBud
09-21-2010, 04:20 PM
More like PINK!! To match your nails!!

navysvo
09-21-2010, 04:43 PM
To match your nails!!
You're Thuch a Bit-ch-th...and a hoo-wah

NotBud
09-21-2010, 08:43 PM
You're Thuch a Bit-ch-th...and a hoo-wah Lord knows I try. Thank you for noticing.

TonyJuan
10-31-2010, 01:01 AM
To remove your speedo cable you need to press real hard on both sides of that white piece for it to break lose, then pull. It's a snap on type of set up.

blueboss
11-01-2010, 05:30 AM
To remove your speedo cable you need to press real hard on both sides of that white piece for it to break lose, then pull. It's a snap on type of set up.

If you press real hard on both sides of the white collar, you'd be working against yourself, no? You might make progress if you were to depress the collar on either side, 90 degrees from the locking tab. In essence, making the collar oval, hence distorting it enough such that the tab lifts from it's locked position. The pics are correct in that you depress ONLY the elongated tab on the one side of the plastic collar toward the metal sleeve.