PDA

View Full Version : blue monroes

louis
05-18-2010, 01:34 PM
does Monroe make a so called blue strut for the front end of a 86 svo.and what is the part number if they do make them, thanks for any input.

bigbsvo
05-18-2010, 08:51 PM
Good question. I'll look it up for you tomorrow, if I remember. LOL

Bryan

TonyJuan
05-18-2010, 09:43 PM
No, I checked, and the only thing that fits is the original Koni.

majestic
05-25-2010, 04:17 PM
It is an insert that goes into the original Koni strut.

TonyJuan
05-25-2010, 08:10 PM
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by insert, but, the original question was whether other strut brand fits the SVO. When I was looking at purchasing struts for my SVO, I checked Monroes, KYB, and other brands and no one made a strut for the SVO, so I ended up buying new ones. $350 for the front ones, very expensive compared to the other brands, but at the same time lifetime warranty for as long as you own your car. You can also get the rebuilt, but it comes out to about the same as buying them new. I have seen different set ups on pictures on this site, but I believe it requires some mods. Maybe one of our more knowledgeable SVO owners out there can provide more info. on this subject.

blueboss
05-26-2010, 03:02 PM
If I remember correctly, you can put struts bound for a regular Fox body on the SVO. HOWEVER, you will also need to purchase caster/camber plates and either: slot the upper mounting hole (in an "east-west fashion) in the strut to allow for more camber or get one of those camber bolts that looks like a cam lobe. In the end, purchasing cheaper struts, caster/camber plates and either the machining or the camber bolt works out to about the same as buying the Koni struts made for the SVO. Unless you are or know a machinist, already have or can get cheap cc plates, etc.....

OR

You can gather all the front end parts from a 94-95 mustang (any flavor will do) and convert the front suspension to SN95. Pretty popular Fox swap and you'll be able to use SN95 struts of which, there is more of a selection when compared to the SVO. The flip side is it's labor intensive, potentially expensive ($200-$1000 depending on the source) and you lose (in my opinion) the uniqueness of the SVO. Some have complained that they noticed a difference (to the worse) in handling after the SN95 swap to STOCK parts. Obviously, the aftermarket can tighten up almost anything. HTH.

PS.
The insert mentioned above is a strut cartridge that is inserted into the original Koni strut body after all the original guts have been removed. Gabriel used to make them and I believe AC Delco does now.

navysvo
05-27-2010, 06:19 AM
My SVO did not have Konis on the front. They had a blue colored strut (Monroe?) and had the onion heads. Drove just fine

MIKE'SVO
05-27-2010, 11:34 AM
Monroe (blue) did manufacture a strut for the SVO in the late eighties, they no longer produce it. You have 3 options, replace with new Konis, use your existing Konis, gut them and install Gabriel inserts or go the SN95 suspension route.