View Full Version : What is this?

08-03-2013, 07:02 PM

Does anyone know what the cable is that runs next to the throttle cable. The box it runs into has two vacuum lines that run into it and one power line. It looks like throttle valve cable but I thought only automatics needed those.

08-04-2013, 04:27 AM
It is a cruise control cable and vacuum motor. Looks a bit different from the OEM Ford units from that time period. Do you have the cruise control stick on your steering column?

I had dealer installed cruise on my old '86 2A, it never worked right, but since it was installed at time of purchase (to help sell the car to the original owner), I left it on.

08-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Thanks. I just got the car and the previous owner said there was no cruise control so I ruled that out and didn't even notice the little cruise control stick. If I want to get rid of it do I just block off those vacuum lines?

08-04-2013, 11:10 AM
You should have a vacuum line coming off the "tree" at the firwall, going to a canister, and then to the motor. Yes, you can pull the line off the "tree" and install a vacuum cap on the "tree". Removing the vacuum lines is the easy part, removing the stick and associated wiring is a little more time consuming.

08-05-2013, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I also have an old alarm system's wiring to deal with.

08-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Update. I removed the aftermarket cruise control and associated wiring. If anyone needs help let me know.