PDA

View Full Version : clutch cable replacement help

tyler
07-11-2013, 06:18 PM
So I snapped the clutch cable on my 85 svo, ordered a new one and when I put it in it wouldnt quite reach where it connects to the clutch. Its about an inch or two too short. But it seems like theres preload on the clutch or something and that if I adjusted the clutch it would work. But, I dont know how to do that or know if that would actually help. I need and really want to drive my car as soon as possible so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

MIKE'SVO
07-12-2013, 04:35 AM
So I snapped the clutch cable on my 85 svo, ordered a new one and when I put it in it wouldnt quite reach where it connects to the clutch. Its about an inch or two too short. But it seems like theres preload on the clutch or something and that if I adjusted the clutch it would work. But, I dont know how to do that or know if that would actually help. I need and really want to drive my car as soon as possible so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Pull hard on the clutch pedal towards the dash. The self adjuster will reset it's self. Once you connect the cable and the small cable, press on the clutch pedal with your foot and it will adjust it's self.

tyler
07-13-2013, 07:01 AM
Pull hard on the clutch pedal towards the dash. The self adjuster will reset it's self. Once you connect the cable and the small cable, press on the clutch pedal with your foot and it will adjust it's self.

Thanks ill try that in a little while. But what do you mean connect the cable and the small cable? I only have one cable..

aviator33
07-17-2013, 10:01 PM
There is a 2.5" cable that connects to the clutch. Mine broke off not too long about and I had to replace that, but the cable that runs up to the clutch pedal didn't need to be replaced. Its not too short, I thought the same thing. I used a crow bar to help pull the clutch flap, or whatever you call it(sorry dont know the technical term), closer to connect.

tyler
07-21-2013, 08:46 PM
Yeah I just did the same thing using a crow bar I was just afraid of messing something up while prying on it. I got it connected okay I just still can't get it to adjust so the clutch is always slipping a little bit