PDA

View Full Version : Timing

Turbopony
03-18-2013, 06:32 PM
OK! here I go again. I'm trying to revive an 84, There are 3 hash marks on the timing pointer. When I try to set it at TDC and put the belt on, The timing gear mark is on the Right or left hash mark not the center. This isn't my first dance and I believe it should be in the center. It starts and runs I can set the timing to 8 but it seems to have non consistent miss ( rough idle ). When I connect a vacume gage it says Late timing. WHERE am I going wrong? Yes new cap,rotor, plugs, all done. All ideas welcome. Thanks

TheSVOTrust-MarkHaas
03-19-2013, 10:02 AM
When releasing the bolt support the tensioner so it doesn't SNAP into the belt and move the sprocket. Usually "Loose motors" (read low compression) will do this more than fresh ones.

Remember the timing is to be set to 10Degrees BELOW TDC (with spout out).

Mark
P.S. You mention new cap, rotor and plugs - BUT don't say WIRES !! (IF you did that work and didn't replace wires they are junk from pulling on them !

Turbopony
03-19-2013, 03:21 PM
I have 140psi on all four holes, The steady vacume was at 15 is that normal? So at TDC is the cam gear mark on the center hash mark of the pointer? Or do I rotate the crank to 10 before and then it is on the center mark. None of the books were spacific on that. Thanks

TheSVOTrust-MarkHaas
03-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Loosen belt tensioner
Put Crank at TDC (which is with the keyway at the top of the crank)
Put Camshaft at the center pointer (if that is what you want for cam timing) Making sure you are on INTAKE
Rotate aux shaft so that you JUST HEAR the injectors fire (do this with the key on and it quite around you)
Tighten Belt
Now you can remove the spout and use light to time to 10below TDC.

Mark