PDA

View Full Version : Bell housing noise at 2KRPM

86SVOGuy
09-03-2012, 07:58 AM
I am sure the transmission must come off the motor. No big deal, I can get the transmission out pretty easy. Question for the SVOofsphere is why the noise. At 2000rpm the bell housing makes a short but loud vibrating noise. Like a spring that is vibrating against steel. Wondering if anyone has some advice or comments.
--
I am new to forum and look foreword to SVO like minded discussions.

86SVOGuy
09-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks for all the input. Just a note, sound happens regardless of load, coast, clutch in clutch out, etc. Only depends on speed. I imagine I will find pilot bearing or clutch housing bad. I will let you know what I find. Sounds like an automatic when the flex plate gets cracked.

mrzw70
09-22-2012, 07:55 PM
Throw out bearing maybe?

TheSVOTrust-MarkHaas
09-23-2012, 06:33 AM
Do this car have stock intercooler and mounts?

Mark

86SVOGuy
09-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Stock intercooler, not sure what mounts intrcooler had. I will investigate. Probably next weekend I will seperate transmission and get into it. I will let you know what I find.

TheSVOTrust-MarkHaas
09-23-2012, 07:51 PM
I asked as stock brackets have a tendency to resonate exactly like you are describing !!

IF the car has the "V" shaped supports on the front and back of the innercooler - REMOVE them and drive the car. IF your noise goes away you will know that was it.

Mark
P.S. Maybe you do have a trans issue - BUT I would hate to see you disassemble and not find a thing wrong!

NotBud
09-24-2012, 08:30 AM
BUT I would hate to see you disassemble and not find a thing wrong! It's still good practice.

86SVOGuy
09-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Much appreciated. I will investigate.

86SVOGuy
09-26-2012, 12:56 PM
If I remember right the intercooler is hung on input and output hoses/couplings. I have been wanting to insert a bypass hose and run without intercooler but never got around to it. On the bottom of intercooler are some heat shields. What you describe sounds like a bracket that the unit hangs on, I do not have these. Thanks again!