PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Identification help

SVSTEVE
08-02-2012, 06:01 AM
Looking at the bearing housing how can you tell if the turbo is a Garrett (Airesearch), or the IHI from a Turbo Coupe?

I have three turbos and they all have small differences. My car isn't orginal and its making my life reallly confusing.

Thanks in advance.

NotBud
08-02-2012, 09:56 AM
Post some detailed pics and we'll attempt to ID them.

The IHI is much smaller than the Garrett. IHI has both coolant fittings on same side with oil in at top/oil out at bottom. Gettett has coolant in/out on opposite sides (left/right) 90 degrees from oil in/out (top/bottom)

SVSTEVE
08-02-2012, 10:27 AM
NotBud I knew I could count on you. After the bashing you gave me in my noob post I have found you to be very informative.

I have three garretts then. Two with coolent ports coimg out of the sides and one that is oil cooled only.

NotBud
08-02-2012, 01:58 PM
NotBud I knew I could count on you. After the bashing you gave me in my noob post I have found you to be very informative. Be careful now - you'll ruin my rep. :)

I have three garretts then. Two with coolent ports coimg out of the sides and one that is oil cooled only. You may also notice that the "oil cooled" Garrett CHRA castings have air cooling fins on them - compared to the featureless outer on the coolant-fed units.

SVSTEVE
08-03-2012, 04:44 AM
I have read of guys plugging the water ports and just letting them be oil cooled. I was thinking about rerouting the coolent lines and watercooling the turbo. Come out of the heater core and into the turbo.

Good or bad idea?

TheSVOTrust-MarkHaas
08-03-2012, 05:57 AM
What are you working on?
Are you missing the lines?
How bad a project is it?

SVSTEVE
08-03-2012, 02:02 PM
1985 mustang svo.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Factory motor is long gone. It had a high compression newer model ranger motor in it that had been bored .030"-.040" over.