PDA

View Full Version : Lowered suspension question

EightSparks
07-16-2012, 12:16 PM
'86 SVO stock suspension. The previous owner cut the factory springs. I decided to go with a new spring setup and the following wheel setup:

FRONT WHEEL SIZE: 18x9
FRONT WHEEL OFFSET: 24
REAR WHEEL SIZE: 18x10
REAR WHEEL OFFSET: 22
HUB SIZE: 70.6
FRONT TIRE SIZE: 245-40-18 (alternatively 35 profile)
REAR TIRE SIZE: 265-35-18 (alternatively 245 width)

I'm looking for 1 3/4" to 2" drop from stock (front and rear)

Here is the tricky part: I've read up on the subject, and 5.0 guys with a 5 lug conversion, Ford Racing springs, stock fox length axles, and rolled fender lip (with this wheel setup) achieve virtually no wheel gap (I'm going for absolute minimal wheel gap and ride height, due to wheel size). I assume that given the engine weight differences, the V8 springs would not work as well on the front.

Question: with that in mind, using same techniques as the 5.0 guys, is this setup possible on the SVO? I have no problem switching over to SN95 spindles and bigger brakes.

Also if anyone has experiences with spring brands like H&R, Eibach, etc on an SVO, feedback would be great.

BrianM
07-18-2012, 05:54 AM
I'm still running stock wheels but just installed a set of H&R Sport springs in mine. The application shows 79-95 Mustang V8. They worked perfectly as far as drop goes and handle great. The sports only give about 1 1/2 inch drop though. I bet the Eibach Sportlines will give you what you are after as far as drop goes. Again you want to purchase the ones for V8 application.

EightSparks
07-18-2012, 10:42 AM
People say the weight difference between 2.3T and 5.0 is ~50-100lbs. Any pics of your car with H&R sports? I've looked into Sportlines, which might be a good option if you say that V8 FOX springs work well on the SVO. I know that Eibach has SVO-specific Pro-Kit, but I don't think it's enough drop for my application.

BrianM
07-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Here's a photo. Remember that although the SVO is a little lighter the spring pockets are a little deeper so it kind of washes out. These springs ride and handle great too.

EightSparks
07-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Good looking SVO. I didn't know about the spring pockets, makes sense. Safe to say that I'll be spring shopping in the V8 department. Are the rear axles the same width as a drum brake fox?